The Flame wants to cater to your spiritual needs. Which type of posts would bless you the most? Further suggestions can be left in comments on posts.

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

November 17, 2013

In the hands of God: Using your talents for God's purposes


 I feel so incredibly blessed at this time. My life is in crumbles at my feet, but my foundation is still there and it grows stronger by the minute. Oh how I love the gospel!
 I would like to tell you of two very special experiences that I have had within the past week that are in relation to my talents. Perhaps they will be of use to you.


I feel God has blessed me so immensely. I do not say that to show off. God has been so good to me. Especially when it comes to singing.

A few weeks ago, I received notification of auditions for a school musical. I thought about it for awhile before getting serious about getting an answer. I love to sing. I love to act. I love to dance. So I looked up the musical and began digging for an answer.
If you know me, you know my life is full. I have many things I do - academic and extracurricular - that fill my days. But for some reason, I began to feel like doing this musical - yet another to thing to fill my time - was right.
I was a bit confused. WHAT? Why would I audition for something that would eat my time like a toddler eats fruit snacks? That's just impractical. But then I found this scripture:
Mosiah 8:18 --
18 Thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings.
The last line - becoming a "great benefit to his fellow beings" - and the part about God providing means stood out to me. The impression was so strong that I needed to audition. Although I did not know why, I knew God would use my voice to bless others and that he would provide the way for me to do so.
I audition in two days.

Today, I walked home from church choir practice with my dear friend. It is not uncommon for us to do this. We were dressed up in our Sunday best and talking as we walked down the main road.
There is a man who lives on the corner of the neighborhood whom we've talked to before. He is not a member of the LDS faith, and neither is his wife. To describe him, I will say he is usually shirtless, he has a few tats, a beard, and a couple kids. He really is just a big teddy bear. My friend and I had had the opportunity to speak with him before on gospel subjects.
He stopped us and jokingly asked us if we were missionaries - "Elders", as he said it. We said no but told him that we were on our way home from church choir practice. He then said, "Well, if you'll sing for me, I'll come to church next week. If you won't, Jesus will be mad."
My friend and I knew in that instant we needed to sing. We consented on "I'm a Child of God" and he called out his wife. And right then and there, on the sidewalk, we began to sing verses 1 and 3 of that beautiful song. I can honestly say that we have never sung better. I was sick and we had both just been singing for a long time, but we sounded like angels. The man even said so himself. He was stunned.
Next week, we plan to have this man at church.

Always be ready and willing to use your talents to further God's purposes. He knows you and your gifts better than you do, so trust Him. Who knows, your talent may just "work mighty miracles" and become "a great benefit to (your) fellow beings". I know we all have gifts that are to be developed. If you don't know what they are, find them. They are there and they are powerful.
In the name of our Savior,
Amen.
-Julie

No comments: