The Flame wants to cater to your spiritual needs. Which type of posts would bless you the most? Further suggestions can be left in comments on posts.

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

August 17, 2012

Landfill

Hi Ladies!
  I got on today, not really knowing what it was I should post about. 
  Now, I think I know.
  To start off, I wanted to post this video from lds.org/youth.

I love that video.  It reminds me of a story that my stake president told in a high council meeting, which my father was in attendance. 
When my stake president was young and my hometown Syracuse was just farmland, he had a bike.  He loved this bike.  It was his favorite toy.  But one day it broke, and his father took him to the landfill to throw away his bike.
Years later, just like Idaho Falls, Syracuse's landfill is now a park. There are homes there.  There are trees, families, and even ponds.
Just like in the video, it would be ridiculous to dig my stake president's bike back up.  Why would you want something broken to resurface in your life, and destroy the beauty that has replaced it?
Just like these two stories, we all have mistakes, weaknesses, addictions, problems, and issues.  But once we give them over to Christ, it would be ridiculous to try to get them back. 
That's the wonderful thing about the Atonement and the Savior.   Christ can make shortcomings into successes and gross landfills of sin into beautiful parks. 
Once we have given our sins over to Christ, we should not try to reclaim them.  We should not return to them.  Carrying around a broken bike for the rest of our life would be clutter.  We should not hoard our mistakes, shortcomings, or issues.

It's time to let your landfill become a park.


 

No comments: